Donald Trump and the GOP love talking about “making America safe.” (The level of fear-mongering at the RNC this week has been insane. In Trump’s delusional universe, we are basically living in The Purge.) But honestly, I’d like to make America safe, too. Let’s make America safe! Here are a few ideas off the top of my head:
- Ban semi-automatic rifles and enforce common sense gun control.
- Allow transgender people to use whichever bathroom is consistent with their gender identity.
- Hold police officers accountable for murdering black people.
- Provide immigrants with a path to citizenship so that they are no longer living in the shadows and being taken advantage of.
- Acknowledge that climate change is real (what’s up, science?) and that it is likely the single biggest threat to mankind – and do something about it!
- Join other first world countries in adopting single-payer healthcare so that people don’t have to set up a GoFundMe account just so they won’t die.
- Stop trying to defund Planned Parenthood.
Because, you know, “making America safe” should mean making it safe for everyone – not just Christian white men.