This is my attempt to recreate a hybrid of two delicious salads I recently had at local restaurants Area Four and The Sinclair.
Makes about 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1.5 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. heirloom tomatoes, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 8 oz. container of mozzarella balls, halved
- 3-4 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced or chopped
- 4 slices rye bread, toasted until it’s hard and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Assemble the dressing by whisking together the red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Slowly add the extra virgin olive oil, whisking until blended.
- Add tomatoes, red onion, mozzarella, capers, parsley and almonds to a bowl.
- Mix in the dressing and toss well.
- Serve with rye croutons on top.